Over the years we have accumulated a rich archive of ELT book reviews from individuals working in EFL / ESOL. Do you have a favourite teaching resource? Why not share what you have learnt with others and tell us more by providing a book review?
Book reviews we currently have include:
- Business Result (Upper Intermediate) by Student’s book – Michael Duckworth & Rebecca Turner (OUP 2008) Teacher’s book – John Hughes
- Business Result (Intermediate) by John Hughes & Jon Naunton (OUP, 2014)
- Oxford English for Careers: Finance 1 by Richard Clark and David Baker (Oxford University Press 2011). Review by Sevim INAL.
- Check your Aviation English by Henry Emery and Andy Roberts (Macmillan Education 2010). Reviewed by Dianah Esdaile.
- International English for call centres by Barry Tomalin & Suhashini Thomas (Macmillan Publishers India Ltd 2009). Reviewed by Laura McKinlay.
- English for the pharmaceutical industry by Michaela Büchler, Kathy Jaehnig, Gloria Matzig & Tanya Weindler (Series: Express – OUP 2010). Reviewed by Jane McKinlay.
- English for cabin crew by Sue Ellis, Lewis Lansford (Oxford Business English, Express Series – Oxford University Press, 2010). Reviewed by Anne Hughes Hallett.
- English for Oil and gas 2 by Jon Naunton and Alison Pohl (series: Oxford English for Careers – OUP 2011). Reviewed by Mary Gillespie.
- Technology 1 by Eric H. Glendinning (Oxford University Press 2007). Reviewed by Danny Levis.
- Technology 2 by Eric H. Glendinning & Alison Pohl (Oxford University Press 2008). Reviewed by Danny Levis.
- English for Logistics by Marion Grussendorf (Oxford University Press 2009). Reviewed by Ruth Cross.
General English Books
- Speakout Intermediate (students’ book with ‘Active Book’) by Antonia Clare and JJ Wilson (Pearson Longman BBC, Pearson Education Limited 2011). Reviewed by Saltanat Meiramova.
- Code green B1+ by Rosemary Aravanis and Stuart Cochrane (Macmillan 2010). Reviewed by Mike Orr.
- English World by Mary Bowen and Liz Hocking ( Macmillan 2009). Reviewed by Ruth Shanley.
- Join In 1: Developing Conversation Strategies by Jack C. Richards, Kerry O’Sullivan (Oxford University Press 2009). Reviewed by Kumiko Hattori.
- New Inside Out, Elementary, Student’s Book (A, B, C). Sue Kay and Vaughan Jones (Macmillan 2010). Reviewed by Emily Bryson.
- New Inside Out (student’s book upper-intermediate) by Sue Kay & Vaughan Jones (Macmillan 2010). Reviewed by Liz Turner.
- Inspiration 1 & 2 by Judy Garton-Sprenger, Philip Prowse (Macmillan Education). Reviewed by Nathalie Giret.
- Open Mind: Essentials by Dorothy E. Zemach &Ingrid Wisniewska (Macmillan). Reviewed by Yuan Yuan.
- New English File Beginner (Student’s Book) by Clive Oxenden and Christina Latham-Koenig (Oxford University Press 2009). Reviewed by Iain Walker.
- Easy English for Busy People – English to Polish /level 1 by Helen Costello (Pan Macmillan/Macmillan Digital Audio 2008). Reviewed by Chrys Ray.
Language Book Reviews
- Using phrasal verbs for natural English by Elizabeth Walter and Kate Woodford (Delta Publishing 2011). Reviewed by Patricia Findlay.
- Oxford English Grammar Course (Intermediate) by Michael Swan and Catherine Walter (Oxford University Press 2011). Reviewed by Peter Mehta.
- Oxford English Grammar Course (Basic) by Michael Swan and Catherine Walter (Oxford University Press 2011). Reviewed by Emily Bryson.
- Macmillan English Grammar in Context by Simon Clarke (Macmillan 2008). Reviewed by Angela Campbell.
- Basic Oxford Practice Grammar by Norman Coe, Mark Harrison and Ken Peterson(OUP 2009). Reviewed by Emilia Krajewska.
- Advanced Oxford Practice Grammar with Tests by George Yule (OUP 2006). Reviewed by Emilia Krajewska.
- New Advanced Language Practice: English Grammar and Vocabulary (3rd ed) by Michael Vince (Macmillan 2009). Reviewed by Emilia Krajewska.
- Macmillan Study Dictionary by Michael Rundell, Ed. (Macmillan 2009). Reviewed by Lucy Bradley.
Reading and Readers
- The call of the wild by Jack London (Macmillan Readers – Macmillan 2011). Reviewed by Noriko Fujii.
- Adventure stories. Edited by Jo Hathaway with Mark Irvine (Macmillan Literature Collections: Macmillan 2011). Reviewed by Jane McKinlay.
- Rhymes and Rhythm: A poem-based course for English pronunciation by Michael Vaughan-Rees (new edition – Garnet Education 2010). Reviewed by Jean McCutcheon.
- 400 Ideas for Interactive Whiteboards – Instant Activities using Technology by Pete Sharma, Barney Barrett and Francis Jones (Macmillan2011). Reviewed by Emily Bryson.
- Creating conversation in class by Chris Sion (Delta Publishing: Professional Perspectives, 2001). Reviewed by Christine Blair-Murray.
Young Learners Books
- Listen and Do by Hana Švecová (Oxford University Press 2006). Reviewed by Audrey Wilson Hay.
- Children Learning English: A guidebook for English language teachers by Jayne Moon (Macmillan 2005). Reviewed by Danny Levis.